Friday, December 29, 2017

It's alive!

I haven't done any significant work on Playform in quite a while. I believe this is in part because it's hard to get anything significant done, so I'm working on making Playform development a bit more forgiving.

The most immediate thing that needs improving is performance. Playform teeters on the edge of "fast enough to be testable" on my machine, but is really far less performant than it should be. This is something that I've been talking about for a while, but is now my primary focus before anything else happens. I'm separating parts of Playform (e.g. terrain generation, isosurface extraction, brush operations) enough so that they can be tested and benchmarked independently. That way, it will be easier to keep track of performance over time, to notice changes negative performance impacts, and to elucidate which areas of the Playform pipeline (which has a lot of buffers and a lot of pushback) are in need of improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment